About whether D / rust / golang can be popular.

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 21:40:12 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 05:46:59 UTC, zoujiaqing wrote:
> Whether a programming language can be popular depends on what?

> ## D
> Must kill skill: It looks good?
> Availability: standard library is poor. Bad IDE. GC efficiency
> is low. Lack of friendly debugging tracking tools. Lack of
> pprof and other practical tools. Although the language features
> many but can not add popular practical features, such as await.
>

> ## Summary
> D language must improve usability if it is to become popular!

Its soo funny though 😂. D be like "Why you do me that?"

Personally I think D is great for most stuff... I can't
personally point anything blocking my use case for D at its
current state (not to say that things shouldn't be improved)...
except embedded programming which is being worked on.

You can to look at the community from these three:

1. The C/C++/?? veterans. They know their stuff and tooling. They
most likely use emacs or vim and are happy with pointing Cli
tools like gdb at the binary to debug stuff. It so happens that
most of the core contributors belong in this group. To them, work
on the compiler, memory safety, nogc, technical correctness, deep
metaprogramming wizardry, and related areas are more important.
They're not the type to develop dub packages or ecosystem tools
(motivation??)...and might not know how even if they want
to...cus they don't use those tools. They're not the people to
write D blog posts, articles, videos, or appear in podcasts, etc.
They are not?? the community "cheer leaders". Remember, they're
the core contributors and very short of manpower because D is a
large language with many new ideas. One reason why they might be
under staffed could be how its not easy to contribute to D due to
the unpolished and undocumented process, workflow, project
direction, etc. They're very technical but not enough time (or
motivation) to do those soft tasks. If you read some of the
phobos docs, you'll understand they're the folks doing the work.

2. Is the intermediate. They're the folks who can move between 1
and attend to 3. They answer most of the technical questions cus
they have come to know where to find what. My guess is there's
not a lot of such people...or at least enough active in the
community day by day. And they're probably working so their free
time isn't enough to do more. They're the contributors of most
packages on dub... bindings, ports, etc. They may not be core
contributors but they contribute to the core language too.
They're generalist. Not enough time means undocumented packages??

3. Is the rest... coming from JavaScript, Java, python, etc where
the ecosystem is effortlessly polished... mostly. They're used to
IDEs, packages, tutorials, videos, great docs (those that don't
read like memory dump of implementation details), example
projects,... that kind of stuff. They sometimes find it hard to
settle with the absence certain tools or under-development or
maybe unique position?? of D ecosystem like they're used to.
They're hooked by how nice D code feels and can't accept why D
isn't all hot and popular..HN, reddit and stuff. They may feel
like D needs more marketing, promotion and stuff. Or that D needs
needs x&y features which has made T lang popular. Popularity can
mean more users (including engineers from other companies who
might fund D or offer developer time), more contributors, more
packages, improved docs, more tools, etc.

Of course its not a perfect categorization cus the community is
more diverse than that. But that's some observations I've made.
Also, there are so many people also using D quietly.