Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 22:24:05 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 November 2020 at 22:02:43 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> "framework" word really is the point of conflict.
> It is supposed to be a bad thing, you should prefer "libraries"!
>
> That's what people say, but in reality people want a cohesive,
> framework-like experience, with all kinds of problems already
> solved and tutorial'ed before they get aware of the issue.

Focused frameworks are good if they are written to coexist with
others. I guess a framework has more of a runtime/service feel to
it than a library? I guess service might be a useful term. It
signals that you have a clean separation/encapsulation, not too
fragmented interface.

The library approach might be flexible, but harder to learn as
you get more parts, less encapsulation and basically end up
spending too much time reading docs/tutorials. I rember the first
time I opened a window on X-windows. 800 lines. Waaaayyyy too
flexible.

> That's what I discovered making Dplug, who has a few users.
> Promoting D was certainly not a goal, rather it was "using D
> because it's practical".

Yes, good libraries and frameworks usually distill patterns
discovered in developing concrete applications.  Which is why, I
guess, standard libraries often feel uhm... Inadequate, as they
have been conjured from ideas that appeared elegant on paper.
But those ideas often turn into idiomatic religion... STL code
tend to be clumsy for instance... Writing your own libs for C++
leads to much better looking code. At some point... Create your
own idioms. Life is too short.