Reimplementing the bulk of std.meta iteratively

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Oct 1 04:08:26 UTC 2020

On 9/28/2020 3:46 PM, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> Finally, I'd love to hear your comments on type functions vs reify/dereify.
> It's certainly possible that I've missed something.  Maybe it's a type
> functions+ solution we should be seeking (type functions for everything they can
> do, and some LDM for anything beyond their capability).

Andrei and I have been mulling over what to do for a while, and have gone
through several ideas.

What we're looking for is not a top level solution. We want a fundamental
building block, upon which the rest of D's features can exploit naturally and
productively. Something that can be explained in 30 seconds.

An example of this is the recent PR for __totype(string), which is the
complement to .mangleof. It's main shortcoming is it only works with types. I'm
currently working on an idea to make that work for any alias. It's so stupidly
simple I'm afraid I'm missing something terribly obvious, so I beg your
indulgence while exploring it.

Stay tuned!