-preview=in might break code

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 23:03:00 UTC 2020

On 10/2/20 6:11 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> And this might not be true on a different compiler.
>
> This is looking like a serious problem.

I was wrong about this case, because it's a dynamic array (which is
specifically carved out as an exception). Indeed, there seem to be quite
a few exceptions carved out, presumably to make existing code behave
reasonably.

But this could be true for another type that isn't in the exception
categories. Potentially, a compiler can decide to make the following not
true, while others say it is true:

alias A = void delegate(in long);
alias B = void delegate(const long);

static assert(is(A : B));