-preview=in might break code

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 3 14:21:48 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 3 October 2020 at 14:10:34 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

> I don't want to try it, have it work, and then later on down
> the road explode in my face.
>
> The term FUD has connotations that the problems we are talking
> about aren't real. They rely on the person's ignorance of the
> actual issues, or on things that aren't provable. This is not
> that.

While I don't like -preview=in because it complicates the ABI
somewhat.
I have to agree that it is just a preview for now.
If it doesn't prove itself, we can pretend it never existed.
We could even have a revert switch once, it has proven itself.
(I do think that should be a common practice for new feature
additions from now on, i.e. allow me to turn them off and get
back to an older version of D with a new compiler.)