[OT] Re: -preview=in might break code

Schrom, Brian T Brian.Schrom at pnnl.gov
Mon Oct 5 03:16:57 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 01:02:36AM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> grenade. And now I see this is exactly it - we got a -preview of a grenade.
> How is this possible? How can we sleep at night now?
>
> Again: take a step back and reconsider, why did this pass muster?

In my  thinking, the  preview switch  mechanism is a  big win  here.  It
allowed for real world testing on multiple projects and provoked broader
discussion,  more scrutiny,  etc which  seems like  it is  *exactly* the
purpose of a preview flag.  Catching  issues at this point is infinitely
cheaper than if it had been put into an official release.

While the process to this point may  not have been as perfect as wanted,
at least  it was caught up  in this gate,  which means that part  of the
process *is* working quite well.