TypeFunction example: ImplictConvTargets

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:51:50 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 7 October 2020 at 12:30:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/7/20 7:58 AM, claptrap wrote:
>> Lets reverse the roles, say TF were invented first, and
>> somebody was arguing for templates to be added now. The TP
>> version would be a couple of stdlib calls and the template
>> version a whole page.
>
> Incumbency is a huge matter in programming language design. Of
> course I would not propose another way of doing the same thing.

c++ concepts is another way of doing the same thing.
So you are basically saying they should not have done it?

c++ modules is another way of doing the same thing.
Etc.

C++ concepts is a prettier and more useful version with compile
traits qualities.
Probably the most important improvement since RAII...

Nobody that values their time wants to juggle types in c++. D
isnt on a different plane either.

Improving usability is a survivalstrategy for any language...

Haskell is failing for that reason, it is not going to improve.
It is primarily a research test bed, just like ML and
descendants. Academic languages evolve by death and rebirth, not
by additions. So if you want D3, ok. But if you want D2, then you
cannot pick the path that academics follow.