What's wrong with stability, LTS, and not fixing bugs for "compatibility".

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Oct 8 12:40:55 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 8 October 2020 at 10:37:22 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:

> I think this is to some extent an inherent problem with the D
> *forum.* In Github and other forum software, you can give
> upvotes, thumbs-up or likes to posts as a way of signalling
> agreement. The D forum, due to its NNTP heritage, does not have
> this capability.

I don't see a reason why someone couldn't contribute these
features to the forum, and if you're using the NNTP interface,
you just won't have access to these features.

> But that's not my biggest objection. This is: the purpose of a
> language is the code that people write in it. Are we
> acknowledging that most code in D has already been written? Are
> we giving up on growth? Are we saying "the level of popularity
> that D has currently reached is probably at or beyond the peak
> of usage"? Because if not, if we think that most code written
> in D is still to come, then we are harming people's future
> experience with D at the expense of not harming legacy code. I
> think this is a self-fulfilling prophecy that will kill the
> language.

That's what Scott Meyers said at DConf: most D code is not
written yet. Don't make me come back again. Then he did come back
again.

--
/Jacob Carlborg