What's wrong with stability, LTS, and not fixing bugs for "compatibility".

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Thu Oct 8 13:30:40 UTC 2020

I fully agree, but must add that I also don't have to maintain a
codebase where it'd matter much. ;)

What makes matters worse in this regard is the Buildkite CI
integration. E.g., https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/11387 is a
bugfix but blocked as it breaks 5 3rd-party projects. Frankly, I
have more important stuff to do than to fix unrelated code to get
a fix in. Another bugfix,
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10124, broke one Buildkite
project; I've adapted it but still had to wait for over a year
(incl. rebasings and solving merge conflicts of course) until a
new tag was finally available and the fix could finally be merged.

Checking the impact of PRs on 3rd-party projects is of course
valuable, but we need to find a solution for bugfixes breaking
some of these.