What's wrong with stability, LTS, and not fixing bugs for "compatibility".

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 15:30:20 UTC 2020

On Friday, 9 October 2020 at 15:27:26 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 9 October 2020 at 15:16:32 UTC, Fred wrote:
>> I don't really agree with this sort of mentality. If you keep
>> breaking code then the most D code won't ever be written.
>> Broken code that doesn't end up being fixed will stay broken.
>> This stuns growth, especially for larger projects. Constantly
>> fixing breaking changes is fine for smaller projects, but its
>> a disaster for large projects.
>
> On CPPCON they discussed what it would take to move from
> implicit constructors by default to explicit constructors by
> default.
>
> They could do it like this:

Uh, that was wrong, more like this:

year 1: deprecate unqualified constructors and issue warnings, so
you have to write either "explicit" or "implicit" before all
constructors.

year 10: make unqualified constructors illegal

year 20: make unqualified constructors "explicit"