proposal: short => rewrite for function declarations

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 19:11:44 UTC 2020

On 10/9/20 10:44 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> After a brief chat yesterday, I slapped this together:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/11833
>
> In short, in a function declaration, it rewrites `=> ...;` into `{
> return ...; }`
>
> One benefit is shorter property accessors:
>
>      private int _x = 34;
>      @property x() => _x;
>      @property x(int v) => _x = v;
>
> But it also works basically anywhere
>
>      bool isNull() => this is null;
>      auto identity(T)(T a) => a;
>      @property y() in(true) => _x; // contracts still work too
>
> So it just extends the existing lambda shorthand to full declarations too.
>
> See more in the PR description and the test case there.

It's kind of weird. You usually name a lambda outside the definition. Like:

auto x = () => _x;

But having the name makes it unambiguous from an actual lambda. You
aren't saving much though, I do a lot of one-liners like:

@property x() { return _x; }

Compare to:

@property x() => _x;

It's not *that* much savings...

A lambda can also have no type for the parameter:

(T)(T v) => _x + v; // equivalent to this

Which is super-useful and less verbose. But in this syntax, I'm guessing
it's going to interpret v as a type?

-Steve