What's wrong with stability, LTS, and not fixing bugs for "compatibility".

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 11 05:01:36 UTC 2020

On 10/8/2020 3:37 AM, FeepingCreature wrote:
> I think this is to some extent an inherent problem with the D *forum.* In Github
> and other forum software, you can give upvotes, thumbs-up or likes to posts as a
> way of signalling agreement. The D forum, due to its NNTP heritage, does not
> have this capability.

The D community has a large diversity of members that run the gamut of
experience levels. Should a person who just compiled his first D program
yesterday have a vote counting as much as, say, yours?

Democracy is fine for politics, not for engineering. Would you feel safer on an
airplane designed by the general public voting on how thick to make the wing
spar, or by experienced aerospace engineers?

I look for compelling, well-founded opinions by people who are long-time
contributors with a track record of demonstrated expertise. People who have a
stake in D, who care about it and will have to live with the results.

(That said, I still welcome perspectives by people new to D, as they may bring
expertise to the table that none of us have. Sometimes the best ideas come from
outsiders.)

It goes without saying that reviews consisting of nothing more than +1 are not
compelling. At least give some sort of rationale.