Spell checking errors can be hilarious

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 17:04:01 UTC 2020

I agree . :)

While we're on it, there was the recent "New to Dlang stream"
discussion. The video there revealed the following error message:

import std.typecons;

void main() {
   to!int;
}

Error: template instance `to!int` template `to` is not defined, did you
mean No?

I think Levenstein distance is applied there but to suggest that a human
mistook 'to' as 'No' is funny. :) Considering keyboard layouts, it can't
be a typo either.

Of course, a better thing would be to suggest importing std.conv like
some other error messages do.

The unfortunate thing in the video was 'to' is not searchable on the
internet and it took them a long time to figure out how to use a
to!string expression. :/

Ali