Spell checking errors can be hilarious

Andrew Edwards edwards.ac at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 05:11:08 UTC 2020

On Monday, 12 October 2020 at 17:04:01 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:

> The unfortunate thing in the video was 'to' is not searchable
> on the internet and it took them a long time to figure out how
> to use a to!string expression. :/
>
> Ali

I'm far from being the sharpest tool in the shed but a little
common sense could have helped them quite a bit. Like knowing I'm
searching for a particular construct in the D Language, I'd
prefix my searches with dlang. In this particular case "dlang
to!string" pulled up the solution as the first hit of the
returned results.

But to be honest, given a website with a search bar, I would
never return to Google to search for anything I'd expect to find
on that site. Or if I did, at the very least, I'd prefix my
searches with site:dlang.org.

Which reminds me, we need to include a search bar on
tutor.dlang.org. It should point to the library by default and
have the option to change to other sections of the site similar
to the search feature on other pages on the site.

Also, there are code samples throughout the site that provide a
run button but does not import the appropriate modules to ensure
successful compilation. I think that hurts more than watching
those two guys pretending to be newbies to programming.

Listening to the conversation those two were having, it is clear
that they've been programming for a while. Maybe not in D, but
they are actual programmers. This presentation caused some
frustration since they were trying to act like they knew
absolutely nothing about programming and did things I don't think
even the most novice of programmers would do.