D programming language popularity

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 07:24:23 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 at 13:32:19 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 October 2020 at 11:24:42 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> When looking for languages to learn, you have to start
>> "somewhere".
>>
>> How do we make D part of this "somewhere"?
>
> Why would someone use D? If the best you can do is come up with
> a list of technical features of the language, you have your
> answer as to why it's not on those lists. Not many people go
> looking for a programming language. They're looking for a
> solution to a problem.

I think this answers it. Rarely am I looking at the language
itself (for the job). So I think it's flawed to focus solely on
the language itself. If the ecosystem (of packages and
development tools) doesn't provide me with an easy way of getting
things done, then what's the point?

So this is a primary reason why I'll choose one language over
another. Most coders I know are not capable nor willing to build
their own stuff when it's available out of the box in other
languages.