Signals/Slots only with classes

norm normical at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 21:53:06 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 18 October 2020 at 16:27:43 UTC, Johann Lermer wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 October 2020 at 16:36:37 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> No. std.signals is old, old-fashioned but is still there
>> because there's no proposals to replace it and the standards
>> for std are high.
>
> Great. So there's a module in phobos that's not up to phobos'
> standards and it doesn't get improved, because the standards
> are too high. That's depressing.

It is. std.xml, std.json, std.stream...

The bar was raised in an effort to improve quality but it was
done so at the expense of incremental improvements. I.e. it had
to be near perfect or nothing. Given the size of the D community
it is the latter and Phobos is effectively in maintenance mode.

If D had contributors lining up like say Python then it might be
a different story but it doesn't.

> Btw. why is it old-fashioned?

I am only guessing but looking at the module I'd say the way it
is structured doesn't fit in with "modern D", i.e. it isn't
betterC friendly with @safe and @nogc, liberal use of @property
etc.