Pandas like features

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 23 23:00:54 UTC 2020

On Friday, 23 October 2020 at 22:48:16 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Friday, 23 October 2020 at 19:31:08 UTC, bioinfornatics
> wrote:
>> As a researcher in BioInformatics I use a lot python numpy
>> pandas and scipy. But I am bored by the slowness of python
>> even with cpython code thanks to the GIL and un-optimized tail
>> recursion.
>>
>> So I thinks really that D could play a big role in this field
>> with MIR and dcompute.
>>
>> 1/ what is the state of Magpie which was a GSoC 2019:
>>  - Mir Data Analysis and Processing Library
>>
>> 2/ does the scientific computing field is something that D
>> language want to grow ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Best regards
>
> There is some activity in this space:
> https://code.dlang.org/?sort=updated&category=library.scientific
>
> This project doesn't seem too active, but it was an earlier
> attempt:
> http://dlangscience.github.io/

To me a scientific library need to be HPC oriented, able
- to perform // computation on CPU or GPU
- to use divide and conquer strategy in order to compute over
multinode
- to have dataframe features
- to have scipy features
A such library would be awesome as at these time python slowness
become more and more important as data grow exponentially year
after year