Pandas like features

9il ilyayaroshenko at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 12:26:21 UTC 2020

On Friday, 23 October 2020 at 19:31:08 UTC, bioinfornatics wrote:
> As a researcher in BioInformatics I use a lot python numpy
> pandas and scipy. But I am bored by the slowness of python even
> with cpython code thanks to the GIL and un-optimized tail
> recursion.
>
> So I thinks really that D could play a big role in this field
> with MIR and dcompute.
>
> 1/ what is the state of Magpie which was a GSoC 2019:
>  - Mir Data Analysis and Processing Library
>
> 2/ does the scientific computing field is something that D
> language want to grow ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Best regards

Magpie was another attempt to create Data Frame in D using the
architecture patterns from Python/R. It has never been part of
Mir infrastructure. DataFrame in D should be a little different
from what people have in scripting languages. Otherwise, it is
will be not good enough.

> 2/ does the scientific computing field is something that D
> language want to grow ?

I would like to say Yes. But the reality is that the answer is
that D isn't going to grow. The sci related answer is that the
members of DLF either ignore my requests or even reject related
work for the compiler because they "don't see much of a
difference"

The following work is what really will be good for Sci D and
especially for DataFrame.

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/other/DIP1023.md
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9778