Pandas like features

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Sat Oct 24 12:36:03 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 24 October 2020 at 12:08:00 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-10-24 at 11:05 +0000, bioinfornatics via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
> […]
>
>> Maybe, anyway since years D search the killer app. Really I
>> thanks thisr area it is perfect for D.
>> Data Business analysis is so important in this day in science,
>> economy and other D could be a good choice.
>
> I agree that D could be the replacement for Python for many
> scientific milieu: bioinformatics, astronomy, to name but two
> obvious ones. The issue though is that the Python language over
> NumPy and associated communities captured the moment years ago
> and many people contributed many extensions to a few libraries
> and packages.
>
> Traditionally (as it were) bioinformatics and astronomy have
> emphasised exploration over computation, and often offloaded
> computation to C or C++ realised frameworks. This has
> reinforced prioritising code comprehension and evolution over
> computation speed, thus militating in favour of Python since
> the packages were there.
>
> Whilst D could replace Python, the question is will it and the
> answer is determined by who would write the code. Sadly history
> tells us this will lead to a (very) long (divergent) thread and
> result in no-one actually doing anything. I would like to be
> proved wrong.
>
> The possible upside is that all the major Python packages
> started as one or two people creating something that others
> then joined in with and turned into the de facto standard.
> Might this finally happen in the D community?

Just expecting someone else is doing the work will very likely
not happen at this point in time. But you can actually increase
the chances it will happen in future.
My opinion: Neither a language feature X nor a specific library Y
is missing at the moment but the community needs to do massive
advertisements for the D Programming Language. The bigger the
community will become, the more libraries will be created.

Therefore you can start here by advising D and its strengths at
every channel which make sense.

Kind regards
Andre