Feedback Thread: DIP 1037--Add Unary Operator ...--Community Review Round 1

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 04:20:17 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 4:35 AM Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Incidentally I'm working on a book chapter on C++ variadics and just
> read through the standard
> (https://github.com/cplusplus/draft/blob/master/papers/n4140.pdf, search
> for "variadic" and "pack"). It provides a good baseline for evaluating
> this proposal.
>
> Overall: the proposal is imprecise and needs a lot more fleshing out in
> order to provide an actual specification for implementation.
>
> Abstract: should not be an executive review consisting of only one
> confusing sentence ("..." is not an expression, it's punctuation or
> operator). Abstract should clarify how explicit tuple expansion compares
> with the existing implicit expansion.

I have no idea how to approach that in a spec.
I don't think I 'compare' with "existing implicit expansion", that might
even be off-topic.

In reality, my DIP doesn't perform an 'expansion' in the terms that D might
currently talk about tuple expansion. All my DIP does is to apply a
transformation to a tuple. Tuple-in, tuple-out; that's not really an
'expansion' in current language terms, it's just a map transformation on
the tuple itself.
I don't know how to fix this language.

* "...the mechanisms to implement them in D are awkward..." they are the
> standard functional approach. The DIP should at best refrain from making
> subjective evaluation. The high compile-time cost is good rationale.

I find the awkwardness to be similarly motivating as the high compile-time
cost. If the CT cost is prohibitive to my program and there is no
reasonable workaround, a solution like this becomes necessary, but in other
cases even where there is not a high compile-time cost, I care about the
awkwardness and how ugly the code is to read and write; bloaty syntax and
logical indirections via shim templates often written elsewhere that I have
to go and find. It's often a volume of text that overwhelms surrounding
code and allows the actual point to be lost.

* The proposal does not mention things like Reverse, Sort etc., which
> would need non-forward iteration to work efficiently and are not helped
> by the proposal.

I don't understand the relevance of this point... can you show where
iteration and tuples have overlapping semantics?

* "often reaching quadratic complexity for relatively simple operations"
> -> a couple of (references to) examples would be great

I mean, `staticMap` is the poster child, and it's the least offensive
example possible to write ;)

* "...expression to perform explicit tuple expansions at the expression
> level, which can express..." good candidate for rephrasing

Yeah, the point made by Mr 'Q' below needs to feed into this... and I don't
know how to do it.
It's not strictly an 'expression'... although it kind-of is.

I don't know spec language to deal with these syntax trees where they are
not yet known to be expressions, or types, or... whatever.
The transformation (and tuples in general) exist as a point in compilation
where value/type concepts are not yet relevant. They become relevant when
evaluating the code that the tuple is plugged into at a later phase.
What do you call pre-determined syntax trees? What is the language to
perform operations on a yet-to-be-determined 'kind' of thing?

* "a unary ... syntax" -> "s a unary ... postfix operator"

Yes.

* "(Tup*10)...  -->  ( Tup[0]*10, Tup[1]*10, Tup[2]*10 )" -> the example
> does not clarify how one expression expands into multiple expressions;
> this is not something that an operator does. The parens don't help - are
> they required, provided for illustration...? The meaning of the
> expansion (e.g. array initialization vs. function call etc) is
> determined by the context of the expansion. That's why the C++ proposal
> and standard focus most of the description on expansion loci.

Actually, the parens are a bug in the DIP. It should read:
  (Tup*10)...  -->  (Tup[0]*10), (Tup[1]*10), (Tup[2]*10)

I thought that should be clear. And yes, the parens are necessary because I
use a bin-op in this example which have lower precedence than unary
operators.

Should I write:
   (Tup*10)...  -->  AliasSeq!((Tup[0]*10), (Tup[1]*10), (Tup[2]*10 ))

I'm not sure using `AliasSeq`, which is a piece of library, is appropriate
in a spec?

Again, I try to show semantic through obvious example here because the spec
language I refer to above is mysterious to me.

* "C++11 implemented template parameter pack expansion with similar
> semantics, and it has been a great success in the language. Coupled with
> D's superior metaprogramming feature set, D users can gain even greater
> value from this novel feature." -> specious argument, even if we allow
> for the "great success" in C++. (Most uses of "..." in C++ are sheer
> black magic and have required simplifications in C++17. NOT a success
> story.) The main problem is different though. C++ parameter packs don't
> enjoy /any/ other operation aside from expansion and "...".

Well... what do you want? Should I just remove that? People asked me to add
it.

To add that
> to the many existing operators for tuples that D has and claim it'll
> just work great because it did in C++ does not stand to reason.

What operators do tuples have in D? We can slice and index them... I think
that's all?
Why might you imagine this DIP would interact with tuple element indexing?
Why is that significant enough to call out explicitly?

* Major bug: the "Rationale" discusses only expression, whereas
> staticMap does not use expressions. It just processes tuples, which may
> contain types. Types cannot appear in expressions. C++ goes to great
> lengths to distinguish between template parameter packs (which may be
> one of type parameter pack, value parameter pack, and template template
> parameter pack) and function parameter packs (which may only be
> parameter declarations). By the Rationale nothing except expressions
> will be accessible to D's proposed "...". That means no staticMap for
> non-valies (e.g. staticMap!(Unqual, types)), which probably wasn't the
> intent of the DIP.

Yes, as mentioned above, and also by Q below, this is the critical issue
with this DIP, and I have no idea how to address this.
Everywhere I use the term 'expression' is invalid, but what do I write
instead?

`syntax...` <- what is 'syntax' called in spec-language? It could be any
syntax tree that makes grammatical sense.

* "The implementation will explore expr" -> there's no formal definition
> of "explore". The C++ spec mentions "the largest expression to the left
> of the ...". Probably that would work here, too.

Also an important point... how do you imagine that phrase you reference
applying here? Can you suggest a better sentence?

* "A second form shall exist which may implement a static reduce
> operation with the syntax expr [BinOp] ..." What happens if the tuple is
> empty?

Compile error on empty tuple. I thought that was stated in the DIP, but I
missed it. It states the rules on equal length, and no tuple present, but
misses empty tuple >_<

C++17 allows ... only in between operators, e.g.:

> return false || ... || args == value;

I haven't specified this, because I don't believe it's necessary the same
way it is in C++. This is necessary in C++ because parameter packs are
barely part of the language, and painfully cumbersome to interact with. In
D, if you want a limit value, I think it would be reasonable to just append
a limit value to the tuple in-situ.
There has been a lot of discussion about first-class tuples in D, and in
that future you'd be able to do `MyTup ~ limit`, but for now
`AliasSeq!(MyTup, limit)` seems convenient enough to me that it shouldn't
require that we spec a limit syntax like C++.
If it's determined in the future that we want the limit case, it can be
trivially added with a follow-up DIP, but I would not add it eagerly, I
believe it's unnecessary.

thus allowing the author to choose the limit value.

> * The "Compliation Performance" needs to discuss how the operator
> handles backward iteration.

I don't understand what you're asking about here? Tuples don't 'iterate'...
I'm not aware my DIP impacts or intersects any semantics dealing with
iteration that should need to be called out?

These are all good points. Are you opposed to this DIP? If not, would you
consider collaborating on this?
I don't really know appropriate language to address some of your points.
I'm convinced the DIP will fail on account of the points you make, and if I
can't correct them, then it's an automatic fail, and I might as well
withdraw it now to save myself the torture, and you the time destroying it
in a few weeks.

Or anyone else...? This definitely needs fixing, and I don't really know
how to do it.