[SAoC] "Improving DMD as a Library" project thread

Mihaela Chirea chireamihaela99 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 19:08:01 UTC 2020

Hello!

During the first week of working on this project I received
multiple suggestions regarding other possible tasks that could
better benefit the community. I started working on them from the
second week but never clearly changed the milestones.

So, based mostly on Jacob Carlborg's suggestions[1], here are the
new plans:

Milestone 2:
- Add the start location to the AST nodes that lack this
information
- Bring all the dmd as a library features already existing in the
compiler under DMDLIB
- Add the token size
- Add the end location to all nodes

Some of the issues I would like to tackle during the next
milestones are:
- Add the possibility of analyzing source code that is only in
memory
- Reduce the global state
- Don't generate TypeInfo when not needed (as suggested here[2])

So far, I didn't get the chance to study these last topics in
detail and I would appreciate any advice or opinions on how to
start working on these tasks.

[1] https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/11788#issuecomment-698186023
[2]
https://forum.dlang.org/post/iopxhnudlrgiqwjxzihe@forum.dlang.org