Discussion Thread: DIP 1037--Add Unary Operator ...--Community Review Round 1

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Oct 28 23:58:42 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:39:08PM +0000, Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 at 22:42:16 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
[...]
> > The DIP brings compile-time improvements, but this is a feature
> > relatively reserved for the standard library so perhaps the blocker
> > is that is also has an easy syntax;
[...]
> As is amply evident from the history of __traits, making something
> ugly on purpose will not stop people from using it, it will just cause
> needless aggravation for them when they do.
>
> If this is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

+1.  I think it's a mistake to differentiate between "user code" and
"standard library code"; IMO properly-designed code generally should
be >95% library and <5% driver-specific code.  Meaning that if a
feature is useful for the standard library, then it's useful for
user code, and should be designed with that in mind.

Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and algebra don't mix.