Better branding of -betterC

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 14:28:58 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 29 October 2020 at 11:50:12 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:

> I was wondering if it worthwhile branding -betterC differently
> - e.g. use a brand such as 'micro-D' or some nicer name. That
> is, give it a new identity that highlights that it not just
> better C  - but a D version without GC.

I think it's a bad, bad, bad idea to put any emphasis on BetterC
other than as a tool to help in porting C or C++ code to D, or to
integrate D into existing C and C++ projects. I see too many
people reaching for it first thing, probably out of a misguided
GC phobia. D is the language we need to be promoting. BetterC was
intended for a specific purpose. Beyond that, it's a crippled D.
If some people prefer to use it that way, fine, but we shouldn't
encourage it.