Better branding of -betterC

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Oct 29 20:20:25 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 29 October 2020 at 16:15:28 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> On Thursday, 29 October 2020 at 14:43:50 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 02:28:58PM +0000, Mike Parker via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>

>>> I think it's a bad, bad, bad idea to put any emphasis on
>>> BetterC other than as a tool to help in porting C or C++ code
>>> to D, or to integrate D into existing C and C++ projects. I
>>> see too many people reaching for it first thing, probably out
>>> of a misguided GC phobia. D is the language we need to be
>>> promoting. BetterC was intended for a specific purpose.
>>> Beyond that, it's a crippled D. If some people prefer to use
>>> it that way, fine, but we shouldn't encourage it.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> Most people with GC phobia don't actually need to avoid the
>> GC. You really only need to avoid the GC if you're working in
>> very specific niches, like hard real-time requirements (game
>> engines, rocket booster controllers, etc.).  Your general
>> software project does not need to avoid the GC; you just need
>> to know how to use it effectively (and/or apply @nogc where it
>> matters).
>>

> Maybe my point is being missed. There is a market for languages
> that do what D does but where GC is not an option. D's better C
> version is essentially what they need, so if you are happy to
> cede that market to Jai/Zig and similar then fine.

That market exists because of GC-phobia.

https://www.ptc.com/en/products/developer-tools/perc

https://astrobe.com/Oberon.htm, https://astrobe.com/boards.htm

https://www.wildernesslabs.co/developers

https://www.f-secure.com/en/consulting/foundry/usb-armory

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/apps/games

All examples of products, whose authors just didn't care for the
anti-GC crowd and pushed forward with their ideas.