Pandas like features

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Oct 29 22:52:59 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 10:23 +0000, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> Just ran across a Hacker News thread about pyston that relates to
> some of the discussion here [1]. It seems there's still a demand
> for alternatives to python for data science.
>
> [1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24921790

I only quickly skimmed the blog page, so this is a first reaction. I shall
read the material more carefully tomorrow and send an update.

1. People have been trying to make Python execute faster for 30 years. In the
end everyone ends up just using CPython with any and all optimisations it can
get in.

2. Python is slow, and fundamentally single threaded. Attempts to make Python
multi-threaded seem to fall by the wayside. The micro-benchmarks seem to
indicate Pyston is just a slightly faster Python and thus nothing really to
write home about – yes even a headline figure of 20% is nothing to write home
about!

3. If you want computational performance from Python code, you use C, C++(, or
D) extensions. In particular you use NumPy. I would guess that almost all
bioinformatics, astronomy, machine learning, AI, data science stuff uses
NumPy. Python execution performance is irrelevant compared to NumPy code
performance.

I am happy to be shown to be wrong, but I suspect not.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200