Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 15:16:37 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 13:36:37 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Sunday, 30 August 2020 at 17:32:32 UTC, Eljay wrote:
>> What is left to do for D 2.x for it to be declared "done" and
>> in stable/bugfix mode only?
>>
>> [...]
>
> I'm curious to know what EXACTLY CANNOT be done in current D
> that requires doing a new version.

Alternatively, what language evolutions would admit simpler,
performant code?

I think that adding pure type variables would help, a lot.  Type
functions, filters, maps, UFCS (typeVar.yourTraitHere), readily
composable type libraries, ...  All these things *can* be done
today, sort of, with our ever growing zoo of template magic
tricks, conventions, and builtins, but there is a simpler and
better way forward.