Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Sep 2 09:20:26 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-09-02 at 09:06 +0000, IGotD- via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]

> I think that the work towards @nogc is a waste of time. @nogc
> environments are very specialized and there programmers tend to
> use their own special libraries as well for full control. The
> work should be focused towards plug and play GC and reference
> counting.

If D can move to be both GC and non-GC then fine, but for me D is a GC
language.

C, C++, and Rust folk (who are the bulk of the anti-GC community) are already
firmly anti-D – I suspect no amount of non-GC D is going to change their minds
as to what D is as a programming language.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200