Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at laeeth.com
Thu Sep 3 04:17:58 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 2 September 2020 at 01:49:23 UTC, Eljay wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 15:23:10 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> I didn't quite understand that sentence. What is the problem
>> with the current design that prevents D from gaining momentum?
>
> D does have momentum.
>
> Some obstacles as I see them are:
>   * no corporate/government/academic sponsor backing the
> language
>   * garbage collection
>
> How one courts a sponsor, I do not know.

I think its a mistake to think that a single corporate sponsor is
the answer.

Companies have their own distinct interests and values and those
arent going to be identical with those of the language ecosystem
and community.  Especially for a publicLy-listed company yet
those tend to be the ones that have the resources to be a
significant sponsor.

whats the use case for D?  well, look at how its uses by
organizations that use D today.  it has incredible breadth and
there is no single industry that pops out.  its about the kind of
people more I think.

Having a single sponsor is quite dangerous too.  what will happen
to Rust given the funding problems Mozilla has after their
chronic mismanagement?  maybe it will be fine but at least the
link with Mozilla is a source of brittleness.

government funding these days has most uncertain benefits in an
environment of budgetary constraints and rising geopolitical
tension.

I think more funding would be better but would be best for D if
it comes from more than one source.  and I think this will
naturally happen in time.