Difference between "can call" and "can compile"

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Sep 8 17:39:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 12:27:46PM -0400, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I wasn't aware of -verrors=spec, but it sounds like it spitting out
> ALL speculative errors, not just when a specific call fails to build?
> While giving a searchable set of data, the situation is only slightly
> improved.

While it's great that we at least have -verrors=spec for those times
when we're faced with a truly obtuse and impenetrable template error,
IME it doesn't really improve the situation very much, because the real
error is drowned in endless pages of other completely irrelevant errors
before *and* after the relevant line(s).  There have been times when I'd
rather resort to other methods of narrowing down the problem (like
copy-n-pasting and stepwise truncating a long UFCS chain until the
problem is isolated, or just plain ole rewrite the darned code in a way
that *doesn't* involve so many templates) than to engage in yet another
search for the needle of an error in a veritable haystack of irrelevant
speculative template error fluff.

Philosophy: how to make a career out of daydreaming.