Doesn't DMD as a library already exist without an external dub project?
doob at me.com
Thu Sep 10 14:54:01 UTC 2020
On 2020-09-06 15:47, Andrew Edwards wrote:
> That is indeed the goal. I just want to install the compiler and
> automatically have this capability. I shouldn't need to use dub for this
> because the source code included with every compiler install.
You can have a look at the Dub file to see how it's built.
> Is there a list
> somewhere capturing the improvements desired or problems encountered in
> the as-a-library experience?
Not really. It's kind of spread out over newsgroup posts. Here are some
of the problems:
* There's a lot of global state in the compiler. This might need to be
reset when using the compiler in an IDE/editor LSP server
* There's no end location for tokens or AST nodes. This will make source
code refactorings difficult/impossible
* Some AST nodes don't have location information at all
* Location information does not contain a buffer position/offset
* It's not possible to analyze source code that is only in memory.
Imports and string imports will be looked up on disk
* The error handling/reporting is difficult to customize
* Information is lost between the various compilation phases
* The semantic analyzer is destructive
More information about the Digitalmars-d