Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--Formatted String Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 1

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 15:14:29 UTC 2020

On Friday, 11 September 2020 at 14:56:10 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
> You request people who maintain c/c++ binding libraries to put
> into the extra effort of preventing users from accidentally
> call the wrong function when using string interpolate. That is
> just plan unreasonable.

I request that library maintainers, *in general*, put in the
extra effort of preventing users from accidentally calling the
wrong function, *in general*, because it's a basic tenet of good
library design. The fact that it also helps with string
interpolation is just a nice bonus. :)

If someone insists on using a badly-designed C library without
wrapping it, that's their problem. No amount of compiler
cleverness is going to make badly-designed C libraries pleasant
to use.