Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--Formatted String Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 1

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:10:17 UTC 2020

On Friday, 11 September 2020 at 15:27:08 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:

> Do you think that the d language should allow opimplicit
> conversion if think that preventing calling the wrong function
> rest on the library and not the language?

I think the D language should give programmers the tools they
need to write good code, and should trust programmers to use the
tools it gives them responsibly.

If D can't trust programmers to use this style of interpolated
string (that lowers to an argument list) responsibly, then it
shouldn't have them at all. A crippled version like DIP 1036 is
not the solution.