In the age of microservices and networking in general, were D is at?

ryuukk_ ryuukk_ at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 19:52:52 UTC 2020

Hello

Today i want to talk a little bit about my experience trying to
get a service setup in my server, so it could communicate with my
existing solutions (i am in the process of porting everything i
had to D)

So i wanted to replace a super basic piece, just to test things a
little bit (i am already using D extensively for a game)

What do i need?

Basic HTTP Server to passively listen to messages

Basic HTTP Client to call some API services

TCP Server/Client to act as a proxy (needs SOCKS5 support)

Out of the box, D has:

Socket - without proxy support

HTTP client - with the help of CURL

Hmm, out of the box the experience is super poor, if one wanted
to make a microservice, looking at the alternatives, GO is the
only decent high level native language that has all needed out of
the box

So i am forced to look at github/dub packages

And the expenrience there can varry a lot depending on the user
(how he look for dub packages, google, github, code.dlang etc etc)

Couldn't the default experience be better?

What's preventing from having HTTP Server/Client, Socket with
proxy support in the std lib?

In the day and age of microservices and networking in general, i
think it is mandatory for any modern language to have such tools
provided by default

A base where everyone could share expertise, and anyone could
build middleware, on a same common base!

Right now the easiest solution would be to write microservice in
other language..

Living is meant to consume current's air