In the age of microservices and networking in general, were D is at?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Sep 13 20:57:47 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 19:58:46 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> I forgot to add, but i personally volunter is starting the work
> on a better std.net solution
>
> I'm not super experienced, but i think i can improve things,
> better than nothing? :D
>
> What's preventing from having HTTP Server/Client, Socket with
> proxy support in the std lib?

We had this debate many, many times. There are _no_ plans to add
anything to Phobos, it's essentially frozen for the same reasons
as in all many other languages (e.g. stability >> features).

tl;dr of these discussions:
- Use https://code.dlang.org/packages/requests for a HTTP client
- Use https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-d for a HTTP server

Also, we aren't alone in our views here, see e.g.
https://github.com/psf/requests/issues/2424.

> A base where everyone could share expertise, and anyone could
> build middleware, on a same common base!

And then you want to fix/improve the API, but can't because you
would break the world.
Dub is _superior_ because it always semantic versioning and the
community has figured out common bases e.g.
https://code.dlang.org/packages/eventcore

> And the expenrience there can varry a lot depending on the user
> (how he look for dub packages, google, github, code.dlang etc
> etc)
> Couldn't the default experience be better?

It's on the front page of dlang.org:

---
#!/usr/bin/env dub
/+ dub.sdl:
dependency "vibe-d" version="~>0.9.0"
+/
void main()
{
     import vibe.d;
     listenHTTP(":8080", (req, res) {
         res.writeBody("Hello, World: " ~ req.path);
     });
     runApplication();
}
---

How could we improve that experience?

> Hmm, out of the box the experience is super poor

If using dub packages is hard or has a poor experience, then
you/we should work on improving that experience.
Ideas (and PRs) on this topic are always welcome.