reflection based on my experience so far on compile-time meta-programming in D as a novice user: the problems

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Sep 14 20:03:09 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 07:42:58PM +0000, mw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> "this entry _is_ a Turing machine implemented in the preprocessor"
>
> http://www.ioccc.org/2001/herrmann1.hint

Yawn.  Lambda calculus also implements a Turing machine.  So does BF.
So what?  I wouldn't wish to write *anything* in lambda calculus.  Or
BF.  Lots of things are Turing-complete; that says nothing about their
usefulness.  (Though if you wish to write your program in Lambda
calculus or BF, I have no objections.  Go right ahead while I stand over
here and cheer you on -- at the distance of a 10-foot pole.  :-P)

Besides, 2001/herrmann1 is too verbose.  A much less painful version of
Turing completeness is this one:

	https://www.ioccc.org/1988/spinellis.c

:-D

(Or, if you wish, `cat | dmd -run -`, which doesn't even need you to
create an input file. :-D)

I think Debian's doing something wrong, `apt-get install pesticide', doesn't seem to remove the bugs on my system! -- Mike Dresser