Now that's a DIP that could use some love

Avrina avrina12309412342 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:46:35 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 17 September 2020 at 19:34:49 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> This has got to be the ultimate in reverse psychology. Picture
> this: I set out to save Walter some work. I took what seemed a
> motherhood and apple pie argument - I mean, who in the world
> would argue against better error messages? Yes, in Queen's
> English! It turns out, those can be found.

That's a strawman. If all you actually were doing was making
better error messages, then no one would argue against it. What
you are proposing is adding a new feature, with new syntax that
runs counter to existing facilities of the language. Introducing
complexity and debt, while ultimately still relying on the user
to know what they are doing to produce those better error
messages. Which, if someone knows what they are doing is able to
accomplish this now to the same degree as the proposed new
feature.