GDC CI on MacOS, FreeBSD, Windows

wjoe invalid at example.com
Fri Sep 18 15:55:10 UTC 2020

On Friday, 18 September 2020 at 15:23:05 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2020-09-18 17:05, wjoe wrote:
>
>> That's unfortunate.
>
> Yes. Docker depends on several features only available in the
> Linux kernel. Docker is more a less a nice package to interact
> with these features.
>
> I can mention that there's something call "Docker for Mac" (and
> Windows). But that just installs a highly optimized virtual
> machine running Linux. Some command line tools that will
> interact, from the Mac host, with Docker on the VM. So you get
> Linux containers on Mac.

I'm not sure if that would work since macOs itself runs in a VM
at CirrusCI.
Also they support Dockerfiles directly. So if Docker were
available I would just have to make the Dockerfile with a
pre-installed environment, ready to build GDC, and add that to
the matrix and adapt the build script.
But then again CirrusCI may not be the best CI provider in this
scenario and if there's something else... I mean there's no hard
requirement to use Cirrus.

> Windows do support native containers, in addition to the above.

As for Windows, if memory serves the way to build gcc on Windows
was by using MinGW.
But last thing I heard was that Windows 10 has Windows Subsystem
for Linux and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a VM with a
Linux installation and some interface to be able to interact with
the Windows host.