Is phobos too fluffy?

Martin martin.brzenska at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 19 10:47:01 UTC 2020

On Friday, 18 September 2020 at 03:01:26 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 September 2020 at 15:51:18 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> As wc -l counts, phobos has some 330 KLOC:
>
> I'm sorry but the real problem is the mammoth modules. There
> are multiple modules reaching over 10K lines. Fixing the
> whitespace won't improve things much.

I totally agree. It should be possible to have N files in one
module. Yes, this can be achieved with package.d to some extend.
But it is rather a makeup for the "import" line (imo).

Regarding the code formating. How about a dfmt included in the
standard instalation package? It could be implemented as a lib in
Phobos. And if this dfmt could load its rules from a
EditorConfig-like file, this file could define dfmts default
behavior. But projects could ship their own ruleset but still use
a standard tool for it that would come with every installation.