Now that's a DIP that could use some love

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:55:09 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 September 2020 at 14:44:18 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> Why provide a string with the assert when all it does is it
> repeats the expression in human language?

I'm not necessarily against providing a string - indeed, in my
proposal, you would provide strings, plural - but the questions
of what they are, how they got there, and when they are specified
are inadequately answered by this DIP.

> Yet most asserts do provide explanatory strings, and I can only
> assume many people find those useful.

this is apples and oranges anyway because with asserts you can't
see the original source and values that failed without extra
steps. "foo.d:3 Assertion failure" isn't exactly great.