Is phobos too fluffy?

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 16:12:52 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 September 2020 at 15:08:12 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 9/19/20 9:00 AM, data pulverizer wrote:
>> At the risk of starting WW3, I'd like to propose using 2 space
>> code indent over 4 spaces or tabs. Indents just don't need
>> that much space.
>
> Jesting aside, that would actually increase average complexity
> of the code because it would allow people to nest more.

I guess you could set a line width guide to make the code more
readable. My issue with 4 space indents is in the best case
scenario, you end up with a large rectangular block of white
space running straight down the left hand side of the
function/struct/class/whatever, and you can get these side-ways
mountains of white space where you have to scroll to the right to
actually see the code.

Some time ago I used to use tabs (yikes!) to delimit my code
until I took a terrible contract job. The only good thing that
came out of it was that the client insisted that the code be
2-space delimited, which I didn't even know was a thing. Lol!
After that job I don't do fixed cost contracts, and I indent code
with 2 spaces.