Is phobos too fluffy?

Daniel N no at public.email
Sat Sep 19 17:07:36 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 September 2020 at 16:32:13 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:

> Yes indeed! I do mention that in a couple of talks. Their
> indent size is 8, too. You can't do a lot of shenanigans with
> indent size 8 and max columns 80.
>
> Many animals are beautiful because they live hard lives.

They recently switched to 100:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/29/1038

I fully agree with your statement of complexity based on nesting,
however I totally disagree with the solution.

Modern "linters" are sufficiently capable to issue an error on 3
levels of _nesting_ instead of an arbitrarily chosen max column.

Just consider some features, such as named-parameters, if
anything they are more likely to reduce complexity than to
increase it, however it will result in very long lines, even if
the line is a single statement without nesting, being forced to
break such lines will reduce readability.