Ghosting a language feature

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Sep 21 04:30:01 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 03:00:09AM +0000, Ben Jones via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 21 September 2020 at 02:43:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 9/20/2020 7:38 PM, Avrina wrote:
> > > why not just remove it so no one uses it.
> >
> > Because legacy code will use it. Removing features has been a
> > constant source of irritation to users, and they're right.
>
> Maybe "legacy features" is good name

Yeah, no need for a new strange term that people don't understand;
"legacy features" is a good existing term that people will immediately
understand.

I'd even go as far as saying that after a deprecation period of a
suitable length, we should just remove the documentation altogether, but
just stop short of actually removing the feature.  That way, old code
will continue to work, but new code will stop using it because people
won't find the documentation for it anymore.

The problem with the world is that everybody else is stupid.