Vibe.d on Windows

Martyn norealaddreass at somewhere.com
Mon Sep 21 08:50:59 UTC 2020

Hi all. New member but been into D for a little while.

Bit of a backstory - I look after software for a particular
company. Their systems are old and (still) using things like VB6
and Classic ASP. Yes they are Windows Servers. I have managed to
update some of their software to .NET when the opportunity
presents itself.

With regards to their web tools - I want to re-write their
classic ASP to something else. Now I could use .NET Core or
similar.. but I would also be interested in moving their tools
over to the D language.

I am primarily a Linux user and have played about with Vibe.d and
really like it. However, has anyone experienced using vibe.d for
Windows and IIS? Is the process much harder?

Also, they use SQL Server. I have used D libraries for MySQL
which are fine - but what is the status regarding D communicating
with SQL Server?

I am just wondering if it is worth it - or whether I should just
stay with C# .NET Core? I know C# is getting better installed and
used in the Linux world but I just feel D is the better language
as I could even encourage the company to move to Linux systems
and save some pennies.

How do you guys find using D in the Windows environment (real
projects and releases) as well as IIS and SQL Server? What about
build a D program to be a Windows Service??

Thanks.