What are the prominent upsides of the D programming language?

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:36:20 UTC 2020

On Monday, 21 September 2020 at 11:04:43 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> Top reasons to use D instead of for example Rust, Julia, Go etc
> :)

 From my experience:

# Rust

## Pros

Great introductory material and generally well documented, and
shallow learning curve but you need to be prepared to adapt to a
different way of doing things. If you do as the documentation
says, you will have remarkably few problems.

## Cons (w.r.t D)

Far more difficult and poorly documented integration with C than
in D. You can write C code and call it from Rust but just try
calling BLAS from Rust - that's a headache, but it's
comparatively child's play in D.

Rust doesn't ship with a threading library or parallel for loop
in its standard library. In this day and age that's a non-starter
for me.

I wonder whether completely shifting your programming style to
Rust is worth it when I tend to segfault in D only once or twice
every 6 months (if I'm intensively coding D), they are easy fixes
(within 5-10 minutes) and usually happen when I've called a C
library in an incorrect way.

# Julia

## Pros

Great introductory material and generally well documented. Since
it is a dynamic language beginners can lean on the dynamic
notation until they understand the typed side. Also great
performance and out-of-the-box scientific data structures and
algorithms. Its multiple dispatch OOP is very convenient and
easy, great collection of programming paradigms and a well
designed language. Can call C libraries easily. Easy to write
code abuse when you need to because it has embedded compiler and
is dynamic but also typed. Very good interpreter.

## Cons (w.r.t D)

Can't distribute proprietary libraries/modules, no dlls so people
will see the implementations.

Pointers and references are in their infancy, constants are not
really constant, even though it is typed, it has poor support for
other things static languages take for granted, e.g. good enums,
static, and so forth.

Long compile times for various libraries which can take between
10 seconds to over a minute to compile even simple libraries, and
they need to be compiled each time they are loaded. If you are
working with libraries, you can suddenly come to a standstill
when you have to wait for the function/module to compile.

Even though it's technically a "dynamic" language, I think it's
somewhere in between. I'm not sure you can call a language
"dynamic" if it has a compiler backend embedded built into it
that causes very long all-stops. I feel as if there is a bit of
"slight of hand" in that definition, but whatever.

IMO, defaulting to private in a module is the wrong call, but you
also you have write export lists a bit like a header file [Gag!].

You have to be careful about how you write code since the
compiler can mark things dynamic rather than creating efficient
code for it. It requires experience and constant vigilance using
the provided tools. Writing an object one way rather than another
can have a massivley deliterious effect on performance, and with
a drive to "simplify" coding by leaving out type information and
so forth, it's something that can easily happen.

Julia is a useful langage but it not a panacea, you have to take
extra care to understand why you are using it, because it doesn't
easily fall into the usual categories of programming languages.

# Golang
Don't know much about Golang, but I don't tend to take modern
static languages with no templates/parametric polymorphism
seriously.

# Nim

## Pros

You didn't ask for this but Nim is worth mentioning. Fantastic
base language, very easy integration with C, great performance.
C/C++/JavaScript backends are an inspired move.

## Cons (w.r.t D)

Very poor documentation, the official book doesn't even begin to
touch the usefulness of Ali's "Programming in D".

Poor standard library, for example the threading library doesn't
even begin to compare with D's or indeed parallel for loops in D.
Currenly in Nim's standard library, the parallel for loop will
seriously malfunction in a variety of ways for example, if you
are trying to read/write to then same array (in different
locations) - apparently there's no current fix for that apart
from using another library (which kind of defeats the purpose of
a standard library). I found the syntax a little tricky at first,
which wasn't helped by the lack of documentation. Module items
default to private but not as bad as Julia because you can export
with a simple asterix next to the implementation.