Ghosting a language feature

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Sep 22 04:38:37 UTC 2020

On 9/21/2020 6:08 PM, Mike Parker wrote:> D 2.094 is a different languge than D
2.074. How many people can say how > they differ?
I can't say, either, without looking at the changelog. But does it matter? If a
particular feature is of interest, can't the changelog suffice?

> And if I want to upgrade from 2.094 to 2.095, but the new version introduces a
> regression that blocks me, that regression might not be fixed until 2.098. Now
> in order to upgrade I need to deal with the changes and possible regressions in
> multiple milestone realeases because there's no long-term patch support for
> 2.095.
I agree that no long-term patch support is a problem. But it's mainly the result
of our team being small, not having a different release scheme. There's nothing
really preventing a regression fix from going back into any particular release
except someone actually doing it.

Needing patch support for various versions could be an ideal thing that
companies that need it can supply funding for.