What are the prominent downsides of the D programming language?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Sep 22 06:55:58 UTC 2020

On Monday, 21 September 2020 at 09:35:10 UTC, Ruby The Roobster
wrote:
> On Monday, 21 September 2020 at 09:29:21 UTC, Tomcruisesmart
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm looking for healthy conversation.
>> What are the prominent downsides of the D programming language?
>
> One downside is that classes can't inherit from multiple
> classes.
>  I know that there is a thing called an interface which a class
> can inherit more that one of those. Thing is, functions in
> interfaces have to be abstract.  Also, member variables
> declared in an interface have to be static, and the only member
> functions that are defined have to be static. Why can't we just
> inherit from multiple classes?

This is known as Protocol oriented programming and goes back to
Objective-C protocols, CLU and Standard ML modules.

It is also the basis of ECS heavily used alongside data oriented
programming in all major game engines.

Ah, and COM/UWP, which have been the main way Windows APIs are
made available since Vista, building on top of Longhorn's OOP ABI
ideas.

Maybe there is a learning path there.