What are the prominent downsides of the D programming language?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 08:17:05 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 at 07:10:34 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> So this is the biggest downside, not having one main pillar to
> which to create a strong statement of direction where others
> can gather around, while at the same time stabilizing the
> features that are still half-way there.

Yes, but in all fairness, there are just too many general purpose
languages today that you need to look at to use specific
frameworks.  E.g. Typescript/angular, Dart/flutter,
Go/Python/Java/google cloud, c++/physics engines, swift/ios...

It is becoming difficult to justify investing time into a
specific language with no framework attached to it. E.g. the main
reason for me spending time with Go is Cloud Functions. If you
want to write a game with custom physics you basically cannot
avoid C++ (on the same budget).

To stand out you might have to target something specific like
wasm or arduino. Basically be the best option for something
narrow.