Feedback Thread: DIP 1034--Add a Bottom Type (reboot)--Final Review

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 14:16:19 UTC 2020

Well written and very compelling!

I have a couple feedback points:

1. In "The cast operator":

```
int x;
int bar();
auto foo() {
     cast(noreturn) (x = bar()); // same as {x = bar(); assert(0);}
}
```

This is odd, and I'm not understanding the reason for the cast if you
aren't assigning.

Also, earlier you say that you can declare a noreturn variable, but as
long as you don't use it, you don't generate the assert 0. Is this
example a contradiction of that?

2. Inside Description, change (3) "Implicit conversions from `noreturn`
to any other type are allowed", I am having a difficult time with rules
6 and 7:

```
/* 6 */ !(is(T == function)) || is(noreturn* : T)
/* 7 */ !(is(T == delegate)) || is(noreturn* : T)
```

What are these trying to say? I think these rules need some
clarification or rewriting

-Steve