Ghosting a language feature

JN 666total at wp.pl
Tue Sep 22 18:04:19 UTC 2020

On Monday, 21 September 2020 at 09:06:50 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
> But still, people complain. And many core contributors, myself
> included, will heavily weight against breaking change. So why
> the apparent disconnect ?
> Once again, the person that managed to put it together best was
> Don Clugston. He mentioned it in his talk @ DConf 2013.

I think a big source of problems when introducing breaking
changes was that it wasn't really tested on any prominent
codebases, so the only breakage index was D unit tests. As far as
I know, DMD is tested against top N dub packages at the moment,
so before you break something for users you can figure out how
much of an effort it will be. There is a difference between
breaking top packages and breaking a single package that only few
people use.