What are the prominent upsides of the D programming language?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Sep 23 07:56:43 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 at 06:57:54 UTC, mw wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 at 06:34:43 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 at 04:04:04 UTC, mw wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think this flexibility to mix GC & manual memory management
>>> is very unique in D. Actually I'm not sure if it can be done
>>> in other languages at all.
>>
>> When Valhala/Panama finally get done, Java as well (Java 15
>> just got the first drop of this work).
>
> Manual memory management option is on the road-map of Java 15?
> any reference? I googled a bit, but can't find any clue.

https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/383

"Panama Update with Maurizio Cimadamore"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dNRVWYaZI

"ByteBuffers are dead, long live ByteBuffers!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYrk4wvar6g

This is just the ground work for what Valhalla and Panama are
going to deliver, so eventually the JVM boilerplate will be
hidden behind language features, just like it happens today when
lambdas get actually converted into instances of invokedynamic
calls.

Eventually those 25 year old jars will be able to run unmodified
in a JVM that also understands value semantics, specialized
generics and can do manual memory management within safe
constraints.